CategoriesAnime Users List Who is Online

How are you gonna explain Anime to your parents/people who think it's for kids?

3 years ago
Freshman
Just thought of this randomly but,
I've met some people along who thinks Anime is just for kids,
or It's cartoon, or they think It's a joke.

How are you gonna explain it to them :D
I hope everybody shares their thoughts.
Modified by CommendMe, 3 years ago
3 years ago
Freshman
Great question! I ran into this problem quite a few times back in the day. People seem so confused when you're an adult and you tell them that you watch animation. But I can't blame them, because most of those people grew up with american cartoons. They've never really seen a serious animated work that deals with complex human issues.

So what I would do is I would first break the connection of anime with american cartoons. And then try to explain it in terms that would be familiar to them. So I compare anime to movies. Just like there are all kinds of movies, some of which are silly, simple, comedy movies mainly aimed at a younger audience, there are also very serious, thought-provoking ones. Same with anime.

One thing for sure - getting angry at those people is the worst thing you can do. It definitely won't help them understand anime. If anything it further push them away.
Modified by Ishimaru, 3 years ago
3 years ago
Freshman
Yeah, true,
If there was someone strongly biased with it then I will just leave him and don't even care to explain.
2 years ago
Freshman
I cant answer that, because no one knows that i watch anime. So i dont know how i would react to it, what would i say.
Modified by KawaiiTrash, 2 years ago
2 years ago
The Mad Philosopher
Well if I ever have to explain anime to somebody that has a preset definition about them I would go like this:

Tell them that a story is being told in different forms, auditory, visual or telepathic (that's for the future though).
And there are the stories which are being told in both a visual and auditory manner, those being movies, theatre or animations.

Now, what are animations, I call them a work of art. I find it way harder to animate things from scratch and draw everything than act, but that's just my opinion.
An animation can fully describe the story the author had envisioned in terms of visuals, aka nothing stops the animation from being whatever it wants to be, take a look at ME!ME!ME!.
Can you put that into theatre or movies? Hell no. It was a symbolic video that transmitted what the author/s of the animation wanted. The hypersexualization had it's role as well because the story tried to explain the regrets and despair of a man who just went through a break-up.
Read this fully: explanation for mememe
If this isn't what writing used to do for centuries, transmitting emotion in a pastel of thoughts and colors in this case, then I don't know what it is.

Anyways, cartoons or anime (I'll clump them together as animations) are just another way of transmitting the story. The story on the other hand can vary from stupid af to meaningful and intriguing.
Most anime I see, I have to admit, are stupid af, without any seriousity in them, but there are those who stand up and give me a story that I'll drown myself into for months.
The art is different as well, anime (Japanese) has a specific style, while western animations have another style. CGI is a form of animation as well, because animation, as defined is: "the technique of photographing successive drawings or positions of puppets or models to create an illusion of movement when the film is shown as a sequence."
So all in all, it's not the anime that people probably hate, but only the fact that it's made by Japanese people or the fact that they cannot think logically about a subject for more than a second and sprout out:
"Anime is for kids", no anime is not for kids, anime is just a form of telling the story. The art may vary from vivid to lustreless as the story may vary from garbage to masterpiece.
IF though, the fact that it's made by Japanese people is the case, then those are predefined values about Japan, a country that is a global lead in technology and a country that has had a more interesting history than their mind can comprehend. True that Japan is weird in most cases, but that does not mean everything they do can be clumped together into the "stupid" tag.

In the end, it does not matter what people think about anime, I'll watch it, I'll fap to it and I'll go live my daily life without giving a damn what they think about it.
If I really had an encounter with such a person that somehow found out I watch anime and he bashes me that it's for kids, I'll probably say "f*ck off, not your job what kind of m*dget p*rn I watch".
Modified by Tigrex22, 2 years ago
2 years ago
The Girl Scout
I had once a friend who was very against anime, she never told me the reason why. But I knew her well and knew what to give her to change her mind. When she was tired and lied in the bed, I simply put Kaichou wa Maid-sama in front of her, and after the first episode ended, she asked for the second. It was around 4 years ago, now she's a fan, just like me.

If explaining doesn't work, I'm in for showing the story they will be dragged by. It's sure there is an anime which fits the taste of the person you're trying to convince. You just need an opportunity when you know they cannot not pay attention^^
2 years ago
Freshman
Naito, I did the same thing as you , well my cousin liked cartoons, he watched the american ones like south park, family guy, futurama etc, so I sent him a Hellsing Ultimate link on fb. After that he said where did you find this, it was a pain for him to read the subs because english is not our first language but he watched every episode, and after that he started to watch others, right now he started watching One Piece (lol, hes gonna be stuck in front of his pc for a very long time)
Modified by KawaiiTrash, 2 years ago
2 years ago
Freshman

I literally did the same!
I made them watch Studio Ghibli just as a starter, (cause that shit's is my favorite lol) And they sure as hell liked it!
He even wanted more after that lol.
Naito said:
I had once a friend who was very against anime, she never told me the reason why. But I knew her well and knew what to give her to change her mind. When she was tired and lied in the bed, I simply put Kaichou wa Maid-sama in front of her, and after the first episode ended, she asked for the second. It was around 4 years ago, now she's a fan, just like me.

If explaining doesn't work, I'm in for showing the story they will be dragged by. It's sure there is an anime which fits the taste of the person you're trying to convince. You just need an opportunity when you know they cannot not pay attention^^

1 year ago
Freshman
Like my boyfriend says, show them berserk...lol

You have to be signed in to post on the forums.