CategoriesCasual Discussions Users List Who is Online

If you could change one thing.

6 years ago
Freshman
One thing that you would like to change about the world?
6 years ago
The Watchcat
Corruption. 'nuff said...
6 years ago
Hikikomori
So that everyone can instantly feel whatever other people are feeling.
6 years ago
Freshman
pirondi said:

Isn't that what empathy is? Or is that not enough?
6 years ago
Hikikomori
Ishimaru said:
pirondi said:

Isn't that what empathy is? Or is that not enough?

Yes you could call it empathy. I would say that i only stopped being mean and to hurt other people, when i developed some level of empathy. You start to feel what other people feel, and you would need to achieve a high level of disconnection with yourself, to go and do something that would purposefully make them feel pain, because you start feeling it on yourself. All humans have empathy, the difference is the level of it and also is possible to block it completely. Most people have the default animal empathy levels, of only caring about the "blood family" or "the ones that can give them benefits" which we call friends. Until we treat everyone as the same level of importance, there will always be conflict. The old quote of jesus "Treat others, as you would like to be treated" would be the most simple answer, to a very deep and complex human history.
6 years ago
Freshman
I agree with you completely. But it seems as though one can feel empathy for beings other than humans as well. I can't kill a fly for example, as ridiculous as that sounds. I always catch it and let it go outside. But I don't really know whether I do it because of some of my beliefs or I do it because I empathize with the pain of death of the fly or whatnot.
6 years ago
Freshman
There are too much of a lot of things that need changing so instead I want it (the world) to change by itself, if it does without even trying to, then it will somehow change back to how bad it is, if not, then worse.
SPOILER (show)
If we remove sadness, hate, anger & etc. then happiness would become stale.
If we remove evil, then good would become boring.
So on and so forth.

pirondi said:

Nothing bad but if I am in a pool of different people with conflicting feelings, then how would I feel?
If I were to lie to create a greater good, would they also feel my anxiety? (And know that I was lying, then my cause would become known? [then accepted!] {or not.})
If I were to speak to a crowd, my topic and speech is boring, I would feel they are bored, then I would be discouraged, then they would feel discouraged....
Wait, so when I love someone, they would know that I love them?
THIS IS COOL!!

WAIT!!! Is this exactly empathy in all of us or we would feel the exact same things?

SPOILER (show)
Ishimaru said:
I agree with you completely. But it seems as though one can feel empathy for beings other than humans as well. I can't kill a fly for example, as ridiculous as that sounds. I always catch it and let it go outside. But I don't really know whether I do it because of some of my beliefs or I do it because I empathize with the pain of death of the fly or whatnot.

Our dorm is in the mountain we don't have internet, but we go home every weekend. So instead of flies we have beetles. Biting beetles. But I still feel empathetic to them.
SPOILER (show)
I hate mosquitoes because we still have breakbone fever at our place.
6 years ago
Freshman
Ichigo_gyunyu said:
Our dorm is in the mountain we don't have internet, but we go home every weekend. So instead of flies we have beetles. Biting beetles. But I still feel empathetic to them.

Living without internet? You're my hero.

Ichigo_gyunyu said:
Nothing bad but if I am in a pool of different people with conflicting feelings, then how would I feel?
If I were to lie to create a greater good, would they also feel my anxiety? (And know that I was lying, then my cause would become known? [then accepted!] {or not.})
If I were to speak to a crowd, my topic and speech is boring, I would feel they are bored, then I would be discouraged, then they would feel discouraged....
Wait, so when I love someone, they would know that I love them?
THIS IS COOL!!

I think what pirondi meant by that, was that it would be useful if everyone could feel the pain they inflict on others. Which would prevent them from doing it in the first place. And most people do that, but only with people that they share the same blood with and then others... well they hurt them. Crowds wouldn't be a problem, I think, since you don't feel what you don't focus on. I doubt you would focus on the whole crowd all at once.
6 years ago
Freshman
Ishimaru said:
I think what pirondi meant by that, was that it would be useful if everyone could feel the pain they inflict on others. Which would prevent them from doing it in the first place. And most people do that, but only with people that they share the same blood with and then others... well they hurt them. Crowds wouldn't be a problem, I think, since you don't feel what you don't focus on. I doubt you would focus on the whole crowd all at once.

So you are saying that it is basically empathy focused on the feelings of hurt and emotional pain. So what people would normally feel empathetical to are their family and main circle of friends. "Love your neighbor, as you love yourself" Matthew22:39
But if we are able to sense the feelings of others as a special ability or something then that would mean we are in a manga or in a part of my brain.
But really, this basically translates to pity (sympathy, compassion) for me.
SPOILER (show)
I was on internet-drugs so that's why my previous post was quite unreasonable. I really missed this feeling.
6 years ago
Freshman
Ichigo_gyunyu said:
So you are saying that it is basically empathy focused on the feelings of hurt and emotional pain. So what people would normally feel empathetical to are their family and main circle of friends. "Love your neighbor, as you love yourself"
But if we are able to sense the feelings of others as a special ability or something then that would mean we are in a manga or in a part of my brain.
But really, this basically translates to pity (sympathy, compassion) for me.

Empathy is nothing super natural. You felt it countless times, I'm sure. When someone was sad around you and that made you sad too. Or someone was really happy and energetic and suddenly you felt a little bit like that as well. We humans, are mirrors of our environment. And environment includes the people that surround you.

As for the focus part. No, you don't have to focus on feelings of hurt. You just focus on a certain person and then you can start feeling a little bit like him, whatever that feeling may be.

You have to be signed in to post on the forums.