CategoriesCasual Discussions Users List Who is Online

Frustration of being the Only Otaku

7 years ago
The True Otaku LORD
Am I the only one around here who are the only Otaku be it in your family or your friend circle(Tho I have maybe a few, but they're not so into anime)?
Such that I catch up to a lot of recent animes(Like watch it just after they release the anime adaptation)
Do you have those anime that you've watched that aren't popular at first when you started watching? Then you started asking your friends to watch, hoping you can share the stories about that anime together but they ended saying excuses or like say they have other animes to finish first.
But still, these animes have feels and can make you like really depressed(Like a Void somewhere in you) since you have no one to release such pent up anime emotions ><

Then after you finished them like a few months later, it starts to get really popular like in your region or like world-wide?
Here then comes again your friend saying whether if you have watched that anime when in the first place, you've completed long back lol
By that time, You've got over those feeling of depression. And then you're like.. what? :/

A few of those animes that I've experienced are like Nisekoi, Sword Art Online and Tokyo Ghoul. Does anyone still remember the time when they are not popular? And then ended up being like in the spotlight?
PS: I hope I'm not the only one
Modified by Nicollynee, 7 years ago
7 years ago
NEET Detective
no worries. I'm in the same bot as you.
I'm the only one that loves anime in my family and in class (the other otaku is in other class).
yes, a lot of time that had happened to me. But still, I managed to make some of friends (mostly the one who sit next to me) from never watch anime then sooner or later they watch anime since I love to tell story about anime a lot. Still, they're not like me, that everyone knows that I love anime (not like wearing anime t-shirt and ect. It's because I tend to talk a lot about anime. how the stories go and on). They're like a silent anime lover XD
7 years ago
The True Otaku LORD
Yokatta xD
Yeah, the otaku I've heard from eavesdropping are from other classes. Well, I don't talk much actually, so up till now, still don't really have a wide-circle of friends
Oh! You wear Anime-shirt?? I wear them sometimes too! I get figurines and keychains, but ended up never using them, you know why? Because My heart will break if they get dirtied ><
Modified by Nicollynee, 7 years ago
7 years ago
NEET Detective
you should try to search them. IT WILL BE EXTREMELY FUN WHEN YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN TALK ABOUT ANIME AND SOMEONE KNOW ABOUT IT! XD
haha, I only have Shingeki no Kyojin t-shirt (meh, only put a logo on it) and I always wear it whenever I want since people doesn't know much that it comes from anime. They even thought the logo is pretty cool.
I never have figurine but I do have keychains, button badges and Vampire Knight purse (the purse, I already used it for 4 years and it's still usable).
Whenever I took out the purse to buy something, all my friends are like, "I don't know much anime, but that hot looking guys on your purse is really hot". Lol. what the hell.
7 years ago
The True Otaku LORD
Well, I don't have an outgoing personality, I'm like an introvert, so communicating is kinda hard for me. IFKR, all your anime stress will be released like WHOOHOO!
I've seen before multiple designs for that logo shirt. Pretty cool? won't you be like 'Whuut?'
I've ermm, Nisekoi, bakemonogatari, touhou project etc T-shirt, But never wear them as you know it.
I've lots of figurines xD but I never display them since I haven't get myself a glass display box yet, I've keyschains like SAO, SAO2, Lovelive!. Bookmarks as well. I'm currently using a long wallet(Not sure how you call it), It has a Date A Live design of Kurumi and Yes, I'm a guy lol (I don't think you'll know how to react to that ><)
7 years ago
Freshman
I can totally relate to being in an otaku-free zone. I only know a couple people who really like anime in real life. Everyone else are only on the internet. I suppose that has to do a lot with the fact that in my country anime is not as popular as compared to some other countries. But it's getting there. At least I can talk about anime things online. I'm thankful for that.
7 years ago
The True Otaku LORD
Well, Ishi-Senpaii! I'm there for you if you need any anime relieves xD. Same here, I only know like 1-2 not really close friend that are into anime. Else are on the net.
7 years ago
The Watchcat
The thing is, a long time ago (20 years) when I get to know anime with NGE (Neon Genesis Evangelion), I also never had any friends/people whose I can talk about these. Also, NGE wasn't one of the easier animes out there, especially for a 10 years old boy, but that time, you never really had so much to choose from as today. After watching NGE over and over again, and a couple of years, I started to feel the absence of someone to share my experience with. So, I reached out for the internet. There, I found an anime forum, that time fully dedicated to NGE. There I started to post, talk, eventually making some friends. The biggest step was to head out from my house, and meet those people with person. This is the most important part. Meeting with them suddenly lifted the smoke screen, and I had to people to talk with about anime, manga, and games. But, as you will grow up, people will have less and less time for these things. Some of us don't let life take the better of us, meaning we don't give over our souls for work, anxiety, etc., and try to live our life as carefree as possible. I'm still watching anime today, read manga, and light novels, and also plays a lot of games. My friends from that long time ago either have choosed a different path, and they rarely do anything that entertain them, or they found something else, which make them more happy. I even know people, who betrayed anime and manga, saying they never liked it, and everyone who still like them is an idiot. Also, I mean "friend"...you should say, more like people you met throughout life. I also get to know my wife later at these forum meets, but my wife also left me after 11 years, because his perception of the world started really to differentiate from mine, in short. What I wanted to say, that otaku is a way of life, as anyone else has some standards he/she lives by. Our problem is, that otakus (I mean those, whose are trying to live a life, not the complete shut-ins, whose refuse to do anything) are free personalities, and they don't like to take everything seriously which the whole world try to make them accept. That's why it's hard for us to befriends other. But which is more harder, to find friends whose are in mindset the same as us.
6 years ago
Aspiring Vigilante
I Two have the same mindset of otakus way of life and i don't really mind at all for that i mean (not to put in a weird way)
but anime save my life the first time i watch anime was clannand and i just started to cry when i finished it
"Anime" really change my whole view point of self-life, and am really happy for that.

You have to be signed in to post on the forums.